What is SSD? This is abbreviation for Solid State Drive – a storage drive of the latest type used in a computer, which is widely spread both in desktops and laptops. It allows storing data within server infrastructure using non-volatile memory, which saves the data even if power is disconnected. At that SSD does not wear out fast. Even the cheapest SSD easily copes with full capacity of the drive operating during 10 years daily.
The Key Advantages of SSD
- The first strong point of SSD is a high speed. It is really fast meaning that it executes input and output operations much faster than hard disk drives writing and reading data flash-like. It is important for selling through the Internet as far as the high speed increases the overall usability of a website leading to more interaction and more revenue from advertisement.
- SSD provides better conditions for business offering a better experience for the Internet users. SSD Hosting helps them to read news and other information without any interruption, which can cause annoyance, lead to refusal of visiting the website and reduce sales. So, if you prefer a better ranking in search engines and want to attract more visitors then you should apply SSD.
- Reliability is the third advantage of SSD. Almost any hardware fails from time to time due to wearing out of components and other reasons. Even constant improvements of hard drive reliability cannot provide the same result as SSD shows. You can mitigate risks but it is much easier to buy SSD – a new type of storage device and enjoy its quality and duration.
- Another important characteristic is economy. SSD requires almost five times less energy compared to traditional hard drives. It reduces the expenses for electricity and generates a little heat and that is additional economy as far as you save your money refusing of the cooling equipment needed to cool the servers.
- And now we can speak about environmental consideration also. Consuming less energy SSD provides environmental savings.
As you see there is no other decision – only SSD Hosting. It is clear and reasoned that this new technology (and we can say that it is new) is the best for data storage and web hosting.
The Main Differences Between SSD And HDD
We know that HDD is a traditional storage for data on a computer. The abbreviation stands for Hard Disk Drive. It was introduced by IBV in 1956. It consists of a set of spinning disks called platters and a head, which writes down and reads the data stored on the platters spinning fast at this moment. In other words the device operates fulfilling simple mechanical actions that cause delays in response. It means that HDD cannot boast of high performance like SSD. But it offers a lot of spare space on a disk and rather solid capacities ranging from 500 GB to 4 TB nowadays. In addition to this it costs much less compared to SSD.
We can mention some more differences and one of them is connected with the operating mechanism. As we have said HDD operates thanks to mechanical actions while SSD is electronic device.
The functionality is the same. Just like HDD SDD reads or writes data but does it significantly much faster and this fact improves functionality as far as the speed is crucially important for data-driven websites. Its performance is 100x faster compared to HDD when we speak about accessing data.
It is the best choice for dynamic data-driven sites and for web resources that have high concurrent traffic because of the access time. If using HDDs the access time can be about 20 milliseconds, using SSD the access time is about 0.2 milliseconds.
Well, now we can summarize and with every justification state that SSDs are much better, more reliable and productive by contrast with HDD.